Environmental health science Course overview
Environmental health comprises those aspects of human health, including quality of life, that are determined by physical, biological, social, and psychosocial factors in the environment. It also refers to the theory and practice of assessing, correcting, controlling, and preventing those factors in the environment that can potentially affect adversely the health of present and future generations.
Environmental issues are among the top three public health issues in this country.
Minimum entry requirement
- A mean grade of C(plain) in KCSE with at least C- (minus) in English/Kiswahili and biology/biological science.
- A minimum grade of C- (minus) in either chemistry, mathematics or physics/physical science.
This course is offered in the following institutions.
- All Kenya medical training collages
- Eldoret technical training institute – Eldort
- Mount Kenya university – Thika campus
- Kenya coast national polytechnic – Mombasa
- Kisii national polytechnic – kisii
- Technical university of Mombasa – Mombasa
- University of Kabianga – Kericho
Diploma in environmental science is a three year course with six semesters.
Is this course marketable?
You should always count yourself lucky by studying environmental health course in Kenya. The following are a collection of job opportunities you are entitled to after full studies.
- Environmental Health Officer in Local Authorities.
- Environmental Health Professional in the Private Sector e.g. travel companies, hotel chains, supermarkets, caterers or consultancy.
- Working for government agencies such as Public Health England
A person working in Environmental health sector in Kenya having completed a master’s degree typically earns around 156,000 KES per month. Salaries range from 69,900 KES (lowest average) to 251,000 KES (highest average, actual maximum salary is higher).
This is the average monthly salary including housing, transport, and other benefits. Salaries vary drastically between different Environmental careers.
Total fee payable for diploma in environmental science at semester one ranges from 30,000 to 38,500.00 and semester two ranges from 26,000 to 33,000 depending on your school choice.